Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

Come on People Freak Out!

Last year I had the privilege of hearing Chris Stefanik speak at God Stock a youth event in Austin. He was fabulous, the perfect mix of hilarity and spirituality.  The topic of his talk was "Un-freaked-outed-ness" I hope you can read that long made up word. He talked about the vast technology in our world and how we get so used to it that it doesn't freak us out anymore. Take your microwave for instance, there are little invisible micro waves bouncing around in there and COOKING your food in a matter of seconds. This is crazy "Back to The Future" type technology. Instead of standing there oohing and ahhing every time our microwave makes us something yummy. We stand their watching the clock and moaning because it won't cook fast enough. Really? 30 seconds isn't fast enough. This is un-freaked-outed-ness. We experience un-freaked-outed-ness with all sorts of technology in our lives.

 I was incredibly blessed last week. I gave birth to the first little Copeland grandson! In my family this is a huge deal. My husband and father in law have been waiting for a little guy to take hunting, fishing and teach to work with his hands. Now this was my third child so you would think that this would all be pretty natural to me. It was easier to care for the little guy and we understood the way the hospital worked, but there was NO unfreaked-outed-ness! I can't seem to put into words that feeling during labor when I first heard the cry of the sweet little child that I had been carrying around for 9 months. Or the look on my husband's face when he saw his first born son and all of his dreams as a parent came true. Then the doctor throws that messy little baby on my stomach and the tears just start pouring. Suddenly I am holding a little  messy miracle. Then he turns to look at me because he hears my voice. I am constantly amazed by child birth and how God has  beautifully orchistrated every aspect of a newborn baby. I was full of freaked-outed-ness!!

Then we changed his little diaper and oh my boys are hard to change!!! Along came a lot more freaked-outed-ness!!! There truly is something different about little boys and I am madly in love with this little guy already. I never want to lose my freaked-outed-ness!

In our faith and relationships we often experience unfreaked-outed-ness. We go through the motions at church or in prayer. We forget the amazing miracles that are taking place all around us especially during Mass. Yes, a microwave and iPhone are pretty amazing, but how much more amazing is Christ truly present with us in Mass? When I get caught up in trying to keep the kiddos quiet during Mass and forget to show Awe and Reverence I pray for freaked-outed-ness. God please show me the miracles of your love and true presence.

We also experience this is in our family relationships. We forget how truly amazing our children and husbands are. Our children are little sponges learning and changing each day.  If our husbands weren't so amazing then we never would have married them right? God has given us such beautiful families I pray that we can all be amazed by the little moments with them each day. So.... Let's get freaked out people!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment